Eiffel tower is one of the most visited and famous landmarks in the world. The tower is structured in the Champ de Mars Paris, France. Gustave Eiffel, an engineer, along with his company designed and built the tower. Moreover, the tower was originally built for an Exposition Universelle held in Paris to celebrate the 100 years of the French Revolution.
In addition, originally it was decided to terminate the building after twenty years. Furthermore, the tower remained the world’s largest structure for 41 years. There are many more interesting facts about the building. Hence, to know these facts which include the height, weight, the number of visitors, and structure of the famous tower continue reading these Eiffel Tower facts for kids.
Eiffel Tower Facts for Kids
1. Eiffel tower is in Paris, France on the public park named Champ de Mars.
2. The original height of the Eiffel tower was 1024 feet.
3. Moreover, the name of the tower was given after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built it.
4. The construction of the tower started in 1889 for the Exposition Universelle, held to celebrate the 100 years of the French Revolution.
5. The construction of the tower ended in two years, two months, and five days.
6. And, 7500 tons of iron and 2.5 million rivets were used in building the tower.
7. The tower welcomes around seven million visitors per year.
8. There is a secret apartment at the top of the tower, which was built by Gustave Eiffel for himself.
9. Also, there is a tiny post office on the first floor of the tower.
10. The tower is flexible to move and it can expand and contract up to 7 inches due to bad weather and the heat of the sun.
11. Around 60 tons of paint are used to renovate the tower every seven years.
12. There are 1665 steps in the tower to climb to the top.
13. Moreover, the Eiffel tower also designs some elements of the Statue of Liberty.
14. During the Second World War Hitler ordered to destroy the tower.
15. In the song, ‘I Am the Walrus’ by the Beatles, Semolina Pilchard climbed the tower.
Eiffel Tower Facts
16. Additionally, have you ever knew that the tower was originally built for only 20 years.
17. In 2008, a woman married the Eiffel tower and changed her name to Erika La Tour Eiffel.
18. La Dame de Fer “The Iron Lady” is used as a nickname for the tower and the same nickname is used for Margaret Thatcher.
19. The sides of the tower are engraved with the names of the people who participated in its construction. The people include 72 engineers, scientists, and mathematicians.
20. In addition, around 20,000 light bulbs are used on the tower.
21. In 1923, Pierre Labric cycled down the stairs of the tower. Therefore, the local police arrested him.
22. Between 1925 to 1934 a French car manufacturer used the tower as a billboard and a quarter of a million light bulbs were used to display the company name.
23. Therefore, that advertisement was recorded as the biggest one in the book of Guinness World Record.
24. Furthermore, the tower comprised 18,000 metallic parts.
25. The British Virgin Islands launched a special tower-shaped coin of $10 to mark the 125th anniversary of the tower.
26. The tower remained the world’s tallest man-made structure for 41 years.
27. Besides, it took around $1.5 million in the construction of the tower.
28. Moreover, the tower weighs about 10,000 tons.
29. There is a meteorology laboratory installed on the third floor of the tower where Eiffel invited the scientists for their lab studies.
30. Furthermore, the tower is painted in three shades, and once the color of the tower was yellow.
Want to read the amazing facts about pumpkin?