Ducks are the most recognized and loved type of bird to many people. They are the birds belong to family Anatidae with various species. They live all around the world except the Antarctic region. Moreover, there is specie of duck called mullard exist in more numbers around the world. Furthermore, the special feature of their feather is that they are highly waterproof therefore, stays warm. Continue reading these Duck facts for kids to learn more interesting characteristics about duck.
Duck Facts for Kids
1. Ducks are omnivores, they usually eat grass and aquatic plants.
2. They belong to the family Anatidae and various species of duck exist all around the world except Antarctica.
3. Most interestingly, the feathers of ducks are highly waterproof.
4. The number of eggs a duck lays depends on the amount of light.
5. A baby duck is called a duckling, while a male duck is known as drake.
6. A duck younger than 10 days stays with their mother and swims and walks in a group to stay safe from predators.
7. A group of ducks is called a raft, team or paddling.
8. A species of duck called mullard exists at various places in the world, however other species exist in limited areas.
9. They are also known as ‘waterfowls’.
10. Ducks have an excellent vision and they can see far and nearby things at the same time.
11. Baby ducks when born have wide open eyes and possess the down layer of feathers necessary to stay warm.
12. At the age of around two months they learn to fly and become independent.
13. Mallard ducks are the most domesticated as pets for more than 500 years.
14. Swans and geese are related to the duck. But, ducks are the smallest among them.
15. The average lifespan of a duck is 10 to 12 years. The maximum years a duck can live is 20 years.
16. Female ducks use their own breast;s feathers in constructing the nests.
17. Other materials used in making a nest includes grass, mud, leaves, and reeds etc.
18. There are very few ducks who ‘quack; most of the male ducks always remain silent.
19. Female ducks are more vocal than the male ducks.
20. Ducks also have a stout body like other waterfowls. However, they have shorter necks and wings.
21. The process of cleaning their feathers by themselves is called preening.
22. There are more than 40 different breeds of duck.
23. Ducks are often featured as fictional characters. The most common characters are the Donald Duck and Daffy Duck.
24. Pekin duck is a breed of duck raised in commercial farms for meat and eggs.
25. The mouth of a duck is called ‘bill’.
26. The male duck usually attracts female ducks through their colorful plumage or feathers.
27. Ducks usually look for a mate in winters.
28. The female ducks start hatching after laying 5 to 12 eggs. Most of the duck’s egg hatch within 28 days.
29. Ducks reduce or sometimes stop laying eggs during the months of July to December.
30. Farmers also use artificial lighting for 17 hours to produce eggs efficiently in these months.
Read also 25 Facts about Bible for Kids.