El Salvador is one of the oldest and smallest countries in Central America covering an area of 21,000 square kilometres. The country got independence from Spain on September 15, 1821. Its official language is Spanish. The country is also known as the Land of Volcanoes. Learn more about the country in these El Salvador Facts for Kids.
El Salvador Facts for Kids
1. El Salvador is one of the oldest countries in Central America.
2. It is also the smallest country in the region. It covers a total area of 21,000 square kilometres.
3. The official language of the country is Spanish.
4. The country got independence from Spain on September 15, 1821.
5. The official name of the country is Republic of El Salvador.
6. The currency used in the country is the U.S dollar.
7. There is a tropical season in the country. Therefore, the season is rainy during the months of May to October and the season is dry from November to April.
8. During 1979-1992, the country experienced a bloody civil war.
9. The capital of the country is San Salvador, which is also the largest city.
10. The western region of the country cultivates coffee which is very famous all around the world.
El Salvador Facts
11. During the early 1980’s, El Salvador’s soccer team scored a goal in a World Cup game that is the most famous goal in history.
12. The country is also known as the Land of Volcanoes.
13. It is the only country in Central America without a coastline on the Caribbean Sea.
14. On January 13, 2001, an earthquake of magnitude 7.7 on Richter Scale caused a tsunami in the country.
15. Most of the Salvadorians are poor and don’t have access to electricity and running water.
16. The wealthy families of the country live in houses and apartments.
17. The largest body of freshwater in El Salvador is Suchitlan Lake covering 52 square miles.
18. The Salvadoran government provides free education to children up to ninth grade.
19. The fastest growing sector of the country is tourism.
20. The main agricultural products in El Salvador are coffee, rice, sugar, corn, shrimp and beef.
Read more here 30 Interesting Vermont Facts for Kids.
MPhil in Economics with 6 experience in fieldwork. Also has experience in blogging, In blogging, I am a specialized writer in the following categories: sports, science, movies, space, and animal. Please feel free to contact me over my email.