There are more than 30,000 identified species of fish. However, over 15,000 species are still unidentified. Every species has special traits and characteristics. But, they all have two things in common that they live in water and they are vertebrates- have backbones. The largest fish in the world is Whale Shark while the Philippine Goby is the smallest one. There are many interesting facts about fish that will amaze you. Therefore, read more about fish in these Fish Facts for Kids.
Fish Facts for Kids
1. Fish have been on earth more than 500 million years ago.
2. Fish are vertebrates.
3. There are more than 30,000 species of fish on earth.
4. Whale Shark is the largest fish in the world.
5. They are the kind of fish which give birth to live young while other fish lay eggs.
6. A female sunfish lays 300,000,000 eggs at single spawning season.
7. The croaks are the loudest fish.
8. Catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.
9. Compared with other vertebrates, fish have a small sized brain relative to their body size.
10. Studies found that there are around 15,000 species of fish that are unidentified.
11. There are some fish, which can raise their body temperature such as the white shark.
12. The oldest known fish is the Australian lungfish.
13. Fish do not have vocal chords. But, they make noises using their other body parts.
14. Fish have all five senses just like humans and they also feel pain and stress.
15. Starfish and jellyfish are not fish.
16. They have a special sense organ called lateral line which helps them in navigation.
17. The smallest fish is the Philippine Goby that is less than one third of an inch.
18. Fish except sharks don’t have eyelids.
19. Parrot fish produces a mucus and surrounds itself for self-protection.
20. The study of fish is called ichthyology.
21. Most fish have taste buds all over the body.
22. Goldfish can live for decades.
23. Whale Shark lays the largest egg.
24. There are more than 360 species of shark.
25. Most of the lipstick brands contain fish scales.
26. Some fish can fly as well.
27. Fish are cold-blooded.
28. Most fish can not swim backwards. Only the fish belonging to the eel family can.
29. The stone fish is the most poisonous fish in the world.
30. There is a four-eyed fish called Anableps, who can see above and below water at the same time.
Read more 25+ Interesting Pumpkin Facts for Kids