Mount Rushmore is an amazing place to visit in holidays. It attracts around 2 to 3 million visitors annually. It features the sculptures of the heads of four U.S presidents; George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and Thomas Jefferson. It is located at Pennington County, South Dakota, U.S.A. Moreover, it is a type of colossal sculpture carved into the sides of a mountain. The height of the sculpture is 18 m or 16 feet. These are some basic information about the Mount Rushmore. There are much more facts to know and learn about the place. Therefore, we have gathered those information for your kids in this post so read these Mount Rushmore facts for Kids.
Mount Rushmore Facts for Kids
1. Mount Rushmore is located at Pennington County, South Dakota, USA.
2. It started building on October 4, 1927 and ended on October 31, 1941.
3. The annual average visitors at the place are 2.3 million (2018).
4. It is a colossal sculpture carved into the sides of a mountain.
5. The Mount Rushmore is also refer to as the shrine of Democracy.
6. Gutzon Borglum and his son Lincoln Borglum carved the sculpture.
7. It features the sculptures of the heads of four U.S presidents; George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and Thomas Jefferson.
8. The sculpture’s height is 18m or 16 feet.
9. Mount Rushmore is also known as Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
10. The sculpture of George Washington represents the birth of the United States of America.
11. Thomas Jefferson represents the growth of the United States of America.
12. Theodore Roosevelt represents the development of the country.
13. While, the sculpture of Abraham Lincoln represents the preservation of the United States of America.
Mount Rushmore Facts
14. According to a study in 2016, the revenue generated from the visitors of Mount Rushmore is $142.2.
15. The most complete sculpture of on Mount Rushmore is of the president George Washington.
16. The name of Mount Rushmore was given after a famous lawyer Charles E. Rushmore in 1885.
17. Don Robinson, a famous historian, is also famous as the father of Mount Rushmore.
18. In 1923, he gave the idea of building Mount Rushmore to attract people from all around the world to South Dakota.
19. The sculpture of Washington’s face completed in 1934.
20. The size of the eyes and nose of the sculptures are 11 feet and 20 feet in height, respectively.
21. The Mount Rushmore sculptures are 5,725 feet above the sea level.
22. There is a secret room behind the head of Abraham Lincoln.
23. The room contains information about the mountain and the documents about the history of America.
24. Gutzon Borglum called the room ‘the Hall of Records’.
25. Around 400 laborers worked in making of the Mount Rushmore.
MPhil in Economics with 6 experience in fieldwork. Also has experience in blogging, In blogging, I am a specialized writer in the following categories: sports, science, movies, space, and animal. Please feel free to contact me over my email.