The American flag was adopted on 14 June 1777 by the Congress. President Dwight D. Eisenhower chose the design of the flag made by a 17-years-old student Robert G. Heft in 1958. Moreover, do you know how many American flags are there on the moon? Also, what the design and colors on the flag represents? If you want to know the answer of these questions and other interesting facts about the American flag then continue reading these American Flag Facts for Kids.
American Flag Facts for Kids
1. There are 50 stars and 13 stripes on the American Flag.
2. The stars represent the 50 states of the country and the stripes represent the original 13 colonies.
3. On 14 June 1777, Congress adopted these stars and stripes as the American flag.
4. Robert G. Heft, a 17-years-old high school student designed the flag in 1958.
5. President Dwight D. Eisenhower selected the design out of 1500 entries.
6. The colors in the flag – red, white, and blue – represent valor, purity and justice and royalty respectively.
7. Some studies claimed that Batsy Ross made the first American flag. However, there is little evidence.
8. There are six American flags planted on the moon.
9. Neil Armstrong planted the first flag in July 1969.
10. The original design of the flag – thirteen red and white stripes- remained the same from 1777 until 1795.
11. The nation celebrates 14th June as a National Flag Day.
12. The first American flag was created in Pennsylvania, therefore only in this state flag day is an official holiday.
13. The American flag must be illuminated when flown at night.
14. The flag should never flew in bad weather.
15. In any distress the flag should flew upside down.
16. Moreover, the flag should be raise quickly while lower slowly.
17. There was a specific flag called Old Glory owned by a sea captain William Driver.
18. There have been 27 official versions of the American flag.
19. According to the U.S Flag Code the flag should be flown in every school during all school days.
20. Also, a flag can be burned if damaged and not able to be flown.
Read also 30+ Amazing Facts about Fish for Kids
MPhil in Economics with 6 experience in fieldwork. Also has experience in blogging, In blogging, I am a specialized writer in the following categories: sports, science, movies, space, and animal. Please feel free to contact me over my email.