The unique and distinctive structure of its head makes Hammerhead Sharks an interesting species. The hammerhead sharks have a flattened and hammer-shaped head. There are around 10 identified species of hammerhead sharks. They usually eat other bony fishes, squids and lobsters while one species is famous for having 90 percent of sea grass in its diet.
Moreover, another unique quality of hammerhead sharks is that they have faster growth than other species. You can learn more amazing facts about the hammerhead sharks in this post in which we have collected a number of hammerhead shark facts for kids.
Hammerhead Shark Facts for Kids
1. Hammerhead shark has an unusual and distinctive head structure, which is flattened and shaped like a hammer.
2. The great hammerhead sharks are the largest of all species.
3. The maximum known length of hammerhead shark is 20 feet.
4. While, the maximum weight can reach up to 991 pounds.
5. Hammerhead sharks have a faster growth rate than other hammerhead species.
6. They reach the maturity period at between 5 to 9 years old.
7. There are around 10 identified species of Hammerhead shark.
8. The broad, flat and hammer-shaped heads of these sharks called cephalofoils.
9. They have a special sensory organ which helps them to detect the electric fields of prey in the water.
10. The average lifespan of Hammerhead sharks are 20 to 30 years.
11. They have better visual range than other sharks due to their wide eyes.
12. Hammerhead sharks are vulnerable to over-fishing.
13. The great hammerhead sharks usually live at depths of 984 feet.
14. Hammerhead sharks have serrated and triangular teeth.
15. The color of it’s top is grey-brown or olive-green.
Hammerhead Sharks Facts
16. They have white bellies.
17. Hammerhead’s teeth are on the inner side of their heads.
18. They do not lay eggs, rather give birth to live young.
19. When a hammerhead pup is born, its head is more rounded than the parents.
20. Some hammerhead species are very small and they are considered as dangerous for humans.
21. They usually eat other bony fishes, squid, and lobsters.
22. Hammerheads have large eyes that allow them to have a 360 vision meaning they can see above and below at the same time.
23. A typical hammerhead shark has eight fins on its body.
24. There is a species of hammerhead sharks whose diet contains 90 percent sea grass.
25. A group of hammerhead sharks is known as a school or shoal.
Read also 30 Incredible Facts to know about Manatee for Kids