Manatees are usually called sea cows. These large and aquatic mammals eat only plants, which means they are herbivores. Did you know when manatees are born they are about 4 feet long and weighs 60 to 70 pounds? Moreover, when they are grown up their sizes increases to 13 feet long and 3,500 pounds.
Furthermore, the average life span of a manatee is 40 to 60 years. If you want to learn more about this animal, go through these Manatee facts for kids. We have collected a number of amazing and informative facts for your kids about this particular animal in this post.
Manatee Facts for Kids
1. Manatees are mostly known as sea cows.
2. They are very large, fully aquatic mammals.
3. Manatees belong to the phylum Chordata.
4. All the teeth of manatees are shaped like human molars.
5. They have around 24 to 32 molar teeth which grow again when worn down.
6. They are herbivores and they spend most of their time grazing in shallow water.
7. When born the size of manatees are about 4 feet long and 60-70 pounds in weight.
8. A full-grown manatee can be up to 13 feet long and weighs up to 3,500 pounds.
9. Manatees are classified as gentle and non-aggressive mammals.
10. The average life span of manatees is between 40 -60 years.
11. The Amazonian manatees live in freshwater.
12. They use their flat tail for swimming by moving it up and down.
13. Manatees have two paddle-like flippers on each side of their body.
14. They can hold their breath for up to 20 minutes underwater.
15. They usually come out of the water for 3 to 4 minutes to breathe.
16. Manatees usually live in shallow rivers and marshy coastal areas.
17. Manatees travel about 40 to 50 miles every day.
18. They have a large flexible lip that helps them to eat food.
19. Baby manatees are called calves.
20. They spend most of their time eating and traveling.
21. The gestation period of manatees is 12 to 13 months.
22. They cannot move their neck towards the back. Therefore, to see behind they have to turn their entire body.
23. The smelling sense of manatees is very good.
24. Female manatees can give birth to only one calf.
25. The calves live with their mom for two years.
26. Most of the manatees die due to hit by boats.
27. The manatees use different sounds to communicate with other manatees.
28. Manatees are very slow swimmers.
29. Manatees eat around 100 pounds of food every day.
30. Manatees share some traits with elephants such as trunk and tough skin.
Read also the amazing facts about praying mantis.
MPhil in Economics with 6 experience in fieldwork. Also has experience in blogging, In blogging, I am a specialized writer in the following categories: sports, science, movies, space, and animal. Please feel free to contact me over my email.