Surely lobsters are one of the delicious foods you eat. However, have you ever wondered about the characteristics of this creature. They possess amazing features such as they have teeth on their stomach using which they chew food. Moreover, They keep growing forever and they can live as long as 100 years. Furthermore, you will be amazed to know that they have a brain not bigger than the tip of a ball point. Continue reading these lobster facts for kids and enjoy.
Lobster Facts for Kids
1. Lobsters keep growing forever. They can live as long as 100 years.
2. However, the average lifespan of lobsters is around 50 years in the wild.
3. If they live long enough they can reach up to 1m in length and 20.1 kg in weight.
4. They have a rigid, segmented body covering and possess five pairs of legs.
5. There are two types of lobsters; Clawed and Spiny.
6. Clawed lobsters have a pincer and crusher claw on one side either left or right.
7. While, the spiny lobsters do not have a claw but have a very large antenna.
8. Spiny lobsters have harder shells than the clawed lobsters.
9. Lobster eats clams, crabs, starfish, and other sea animals. They also eat each other.
10. Lobsters identify their food using the chemosensory hair on their legs. Through which they taste the food.
11. In the colonial period, lobsters were considered poor man’s chicken therefore fed to pigs and goats or consumed by paupers only.
12. The natural color of lobster is usually green or yellow and sometimes bright blue.
13. The most valuable species of lobster are Dublin Bay Prawn and Scampi also known as the American lobsters.
14. The lobsters have clear blood. The color is not red as humans.
15. The largest and best lobster producing region is Maine.
16. The scientific name of the American lobster is Homarus Americanus.
17. Lobsters chew food with their stomach. They have teeth on their stomach.
18. There is a green creamy stuff inside a lobster called tomally. People consider this the delicious part of lobster and enjoy eating it.
19. Tomally is the digestive gland that is the intestine, liver and pancreas.
20. Maine lobster is a type of lobster that has large and meaty claws.
21. Lobsters do not have vocal chords also they can’t process food.
22. Lobsters are the great source of protein. A cup of lobster provides 28 grams of protein.
23. Lobsters are invertebrates. Their body is protected with a shell that is exoskeleton.
24. The sense of smell and taste is good in lobsters. However, they have poor eyesight.
25. The brain of a lobster is not bigger than the tip of a ball point.
26. There is a village in Italy called Reggio Emilia where it is illegal to boil lobsters.
27. There is a black line on the lobster’s tail that is edible unfertilized eggs.
28. Although they are not considered as friendly, people keep lobsters as pets at some places.
You can also enjoy reading the amazing facts about caterpillar.