Washington Monument is an Egyptian styled hollow obelisk made of stone. Its height is 555 feet and covers an area of 106.01 acres. Moreover, It was the tallest building around the world until 1884. The building was constructed to commemorate President George Washington. It is the tallest stone structure and obelisk in the world.
The monument is an amazing place t visit. Therefore, we have gathered some more incredible and amazing facts about the Washington Monument for the kids in this post. Hence, continue reading these interesting Washington Monument facts for kid which will definitely help you to know all the information about the building.
Washington Monument Facts for Kids
1. The Washington monument is located at the National Mall, Washington, D.C., United States.
2. The building was constructed to commemorate President George Washington.
3. The height of the Washington monument is 555 feet.
4. Moreover, the construction of its building started in 1848 while ended in 1884.
5. There were two phases of the building construction; the private one (1848-1854) and the public one (1876-1884).
6. Robert Mills designed the structure of the Washington monument.
7. Most interestingly, the design was very different from what it was built after completion.
8. At the time of the completion of the monument it was the tallest building in the world.
9. Furthermore, James Madison played the leading role in its construction.
10. And, the monument covers an area of 106.01 acres.
11. The blocks used in the monument are combined together by just gravity and friction and no mortar are used.
12. Thomas Lincoln Caesey and the U.S Army Corps of engineers completed the construction of the monument.
13. Also, the engineers used to demand for the supply of ‘hot coffee’ during work from the government.
14. Before the obelisk design, there were several other ideas such as building a statue, Greek Columns or Tombs.
15. Besides, in the original design of the monument the top was flat.
Washington Monument Facts
16. The monument is made of marble, blue gneisses , and granite.
17. The monument opened on February 21, 1885 for visitors.
18. The plans of building the monument had already started before Washington was elected as president.
19. Moreover, the monument got affected by an earthquake on August 23, 2011.
20. The Washington monument is the only presidential monument in the state, which requires a ticket.
21. There are two shades of white in the Monument.
22. Furthermore, the top of the monument is capped with a surprising metal of more than a ton.
23. There are 50 American flags around the Washington monument.
24. In addition, there are around 900 steps inside the monument, which have been closed since the 1970s.
25. There are dozens of miscellaneous items buried beneath the monument.
Read the facts about American Flag in this post 20+ Incredible American Flag Facts for Kids.
MPhil in Economics with 6 experience in fieldwork. Also has experience in blogging, In blogging, I am a specialized writer in the following categories: sports, science, movies, space, and animal. Please feel free to contact me over my email.